My Journey as a self-taught Programmer So Far

A woman sitting on her laptop coding illustration

    Four years ago, I got curious about programming. It wasn't my first time though; I took an intro to computer science class in my first year of Engineering School. The programming language was C++. I remember it was the best class ever compared to the other classes, and I think I have fallen in love with programming. Then I forgot all about programming until I graduated and started working full-time as an electrical Engineer. 

    I found out about edX, Coursera, and FreeCodeCamp websites. I started learning HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery, and More. Never got to try learning Backend development, though. I have always been interested in design, colors, and that is why I loved front-end development and focused on learning those skills.
A woman standing infront of a giant monitor illustration
Designed by Freepik

    I took many online courses on several platforms while working full time. I never started a serious project to use my skills, it was only the courses' assignments. Then one year later I started my MBA program and forgot all about programming again. But every once in a while I took a course or two online. At that time, I learned Python and the Basics of Android development. 

    While I was doing my MBA, there was once a project needed to be submitted for Creativity in Organizations' class, part of my MBA program. I chose a real project, and I even submitted the website written in HTML, CSS, and Javascript, without Backend development, though. I could have used Bootstrap to make it fully responsive, but I did not have much time. It was really fun to do and fun to submit and present it to class. 
A woman presentating in front of  her colleagues illustration
Designed by pch.vector / Freepik

    
    A couple of months ago, I became interested again in programming. I started with CS50 "Introduction to Computer Science" Harvard Course. The course was outstanding. The lectures were fun to watch, it was as if I was watching a show, not a CS lecture 😁. But When I started Android development track, it started to get really challenging. I tried to solve the first application assignment, Pokédex, but could not. I took OOP "Object-oriented programming" in Java and Android development using Java courses on Udemy, then went back to try to solve the assignment. Unfortunately, I failed to do so.  So I decided to take a break from the course and go back later to finish it, hopefully before the deadline.
    
    Now I decided to start learning Android development with Kotlin from Scratch with more patience. I chose Udacity Courses by Google. The courses are: 

  • Kotlin Bootcamp for Programmers
  • Developing Android Apps with Kotlin
  • Advanced Android with Kotlin
    Currently, I am studying my second Course, Developing Android Apps with Kotlin. You can follow my daily learning Journey on my Twitter Account, while doing the #100DaysofCode challenge. Sometimes, I post my notes, code, or the final developed application.
A woman standing next to a giant smart phone illustration
Designed by Freepik

      Thank you for reading my post. You can subscribe to my blog or follow me on Twitter to be the first person to read my new posts.


0 Comments